The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation (yes, there is such a thing!) reports that scientific studies show kindness results in numerous health benefits.
- Strengthens the immune system and diminishes the effects of serious and minor disorders, effects of physical pain.
- Releases endorphins, giving you a “natural high” (without the dangers of drug addiction).
- Subsequently provides a period of calm important to emotional well-being.
- Reduces stress, feelings of isolation and hostility.
- Relaxes the lungs and thereby reduces asthma attacks.
- Reverses feelings of depression and associated physical and mental damage.
- Enhances feelings of joyfulness, emotional resilience, and vigor.
- Increases sense of self-worth and self-efficacy.
- Gives greater happiness and optimism.
- Creates “connections” with others and elevates a sense of community.
- Supports friendship, love, and bonding.
- Supports an altruistic lifestyle, a critical component of mental health.
- Promotes a sense of community (I added this one).